Thursday, December 2, 2010

~Seen~

        Every day that I walk home from ballet I walk down a hill. After it snowed, the hill became somewhat slippery. But sliding down the hill is usually faster than waiting for the bus and traveling away from my apartment before we turn and travel towards it.


A few times at the beginning of the semester I would pass this guy. I would just glance at him and kind of smile. He started saying "Hello" to me and, if you know me, you know that if you say "Hello" to me you are almost always rewarded with a big smile and an enthusiastic hello. I have rarely seen this guy since the beginning of the semester, but I have always looked for him on my way home after class. Today I got to see him! And, like he always does, he said "Hello". It  has made my entire day so much better!
It isn't that I am attracted to him in any way. It is more that I just like being seen. There is something about having someone that you have absolutely no ties to say "Hello" to you. There isn't any obligation in the "Hello". It is a pure "Hello", an I recognize that you are here "Hello" and that you really do take up space in this world, an I see you hello.

So here is my challenge to you, say "Hello" to 5 people that you don't know today. You don't have to talk to them. Just as you walk by them smile and say "Hello" in the cheeriest voice that you have, even if your day has completely sucked. Make it sincere. Help others to feel the same way that this guy has made me feel, help others to feel seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
"That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God,receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day." D&C 50:24

Followers